This was an interesting project. The tool in question already existed as a custom-built package based on code-igniter. The client wanted the whole system moved to WordPress. Features included:
- Assigning a curriculum to students
- Ad hoc assignment of curriculum components to students
- Components should be browseable by topic or provider (the component courses are delivered by a variety of institutions)
- Students should be able to log the development of certain skills for each assigned component
- Students should be able to add custom components (such as a lecture they attended outside the curriculum) and log skills for them from the same pool as for their curriculum components
- Students should be able to add some other relevant data to their profiles
- Students should be able to download a pre-formatted version of their logged skills
The solution was provided in the form of a WordPress plugin that re-created all the required functionality from the previous version, along with any updates and changes. It made extensive use of Advanced Custom Fields; to provide the administrative interface for managing assignment of curricula and components; and to record the logged skills from the students’ frontend.
It was an enjoyable project to work on; devising custom functionality is my favourite thing to do and this was an unusual situation where there was a working example of almost everything required and the requirement was to translate it for a new platform.
The project went very well and is currently (08/04/2021) running at https://education.icatprogramme.org; however the actual functionality is only visible to those enrolled in the system.